Hypocrisy in the Sussex GOP Committee???
As a former Republican leader and activist in Sussex County, Delaware in many different capacities, I recognize that primaries can be divisive and disconcerting. I also know hypocrisy and official improper actions when I see it. In Sussex County, the primary contest for the Register of Wills Office has become outrageous because of the absolute lies and hypocrisy published by the leadership of the Sussex GOP. Apparently, a mailer from a long-term, independent, Republican Committee called the “35th Representative District Conservative Committee”, pointing out that one of the candidates, Greg Fuller, who happens to be an African American, was a life-long, democrat, was sent out to Sussex County Republican voters.
That statement is absolutely true and indeed Greg Fuller did spend his life working against the Delaware GOP as a Democrat. Regardless of the fact that I support, Candice Green, the daughter of the former Register of Wills, Cindy Green, I believe that the flip flopping by Greg Fuller was done because he clearly knew he could not win as a Democrat, and therefore switched parties. I also believe it is important to bring out that fact to all the Republican voters.
Below are two publications, first a letter signed by the Chair (Marilyn Booker) and the Vice Chair (Lewis Briggs who is Greg Fuller’s campaign manager). Second is the actual postcard from the 35th Committee which has a picture of Greg Fuller.
The Chair and Vice Chair have falsely accused the 35th District Committee of Racism and clearly are hypocritical by saying the official Sussex GOP Executive Committee can’t support an individual candidate, yet the letter they sent out clearly and indirectly supports Greg Fuller. The additional rub is that the Vice Chair is Greg Fuller’s campaign manager. I have put these false and hypocritical statements in red below for your observation. Below the wrongful and untruthful letter from the Sussex GOP is the postcard from the 35th district rightfully pointing out Greg Fuller’s life- long loyalty to the Democrat Party and indeed a legitimate issue. There is absolutely nothing that is racist or untruthful in the 35’s publication, but the letter from the Sussex GOP is in my educated opinion, terribly prejudiced, hypocritical, untruthful, and a cloaked endorsement of Greg Fuller, a true Democrat who is pretending to be a Republican.
Folks, please carefully read both publications below and you decide what is real, fair, and proper. As always, your comments are welcome and appreciated.
JUDSON Bennett-Coastal Network
SUSSEX GOP LETTER which is false and hypocritical:
Good afternoon, fellow Republicans,
It appears that a group calling themselves the “35th Representative District Conservative Committee” has sent a mailer to Republicans in Sussex County. There are a couple of things to which I want to alert you:
· Please DO NOT confuse this group with the Sussex County Republican Committee (SCRC) or with the 35th Representative District Republican Committee – the only group sanctioned by the SCRC.
· The Sussex County Republican Committee’s rules prohibit the Committee from supporting a particular candidate in which there is a primary for a local election. We must remain neutral and we have done this. (HYPOCRISY ?)
However, we DO NOT support or agree with these types of dirty political games.
· The target of this “hit piece” was at one time a registered Democrat – just like Ronald Reagan was.
· This is a three-way primary and two of the candidates were at one time registered Democrats. They have seen the “darkness” in the Democrat Party and support the values of our party no matter what this group says.
· Leaving the Democrat Party is a very bold and courageous action and should be applauded and not denigrated.
· The party is working hard to attract minority voters because we believe in inclusiveness and that who you are and what you believe is more important than what you are. The candidate who is the object of this hateful mailer is African-American.
· This type of rhetoric is unhelpful and racist. We will not tolerate it. (Absolutely False ?)
Please learn as much as you can about all the candidates for this and each of the seats in which there is a primary. Beware of this type of thuggish behavior. These types of activities do not have a place in our Party’s election process nor do they serve the citizens of Sussex County well.
Marilyn Booker, Chair
Lewis Briggs,II, Vice-Chair
Sussex County Republican Executive Committee
Sussex County Republican Committee